I was one of many left-ish Americans that was worried under the government of 2000-2006 (heavy GOP era), and really hoped that the backlash against the neocon movement under the Dems, such as Obama, would really make a good bit of difference. I hoped, Mr. Obama. I even chipped in for the first time in my life.
I have been sorely disappointed. Since our nation is an insane win-vs-lose 2 party country with little to no ability to compromise, and neither the weak left nor the rabid right suit me much anymore, I have no faith that things will improve. I’ve read enough history of our nation to see where things could easily be going, and I want no part in it.
I’ll obviously go into more depth over time, but let’s start with a quick list of the current events making me go ‘ahhh’:
- The harsh response to the Occupy movement, regardless of agree/disagree
- The Patriot Act
- The new NDAA
- The SOPA/PIPA malarkey
- The ZERO crackdown on the Wall St felons
- The rampant fraud by banks
- The fact that no one is seriously talking about reinstating Glass Steagall
- The broken two party system that ensures nothing gets accomplished
- The doubling of our national debt in my lifetime
Many things. I’ll try to remain prolific on that front, but I’ll frequently post about current events on the Facebook page with links to the articles and news in question.